Review the (30:01) video from the Verbal and Nonverbal Communication Resource Section for this discussion.
Take a position. Do you agree or disagree with the officer’s choice of communication style in this situation?
First, title your initial post either “The officer’s choice of communication style was appropriate” or “The officer’s choice of communication style was not appropriate.”
Then in your initial post, make your case. Consider the following:
- Which verbal communication style did the officer use?
- Which nonverbal components did the officer use to control the situation?
- If you did not agree with the officer’s choice of communication, use research to explain why that communication style was not effective.
- If you felt the officer’s response was not appropriate, what would you change? Use research to support your changes.
- If you felt the officer did handle the situation appropriately, why do you think the situation turned out the way it did? What other forms of communication in this situation helped to create the situation? Use research to explain how these other forms of communication contributed to the breakdown of this situation.
In your response to your peers, consider the changes they would make to improve or alter the outcome or why they felt the approach was appropriate. Do you agree with the changes they would make or their rationale for not making changes? Why or why not?
To complete this assignment, review the document.
Your active participation in the discussions is essential to your overall success this term. Discussion questions will help you make meaningful connections between the course content and the larger concepts of the course. These discussions give you a chance to express your own thoughts, ask questions, and gain insight from your peers and instructor.
For each discussion, you must create one initial post and follow up with at least two response posts.
For your initial post, do the following:
- Write a post of 1 to 2 paragraphs.