· What have been the four components of the creation of consumer economy and society since the mid- 1800s? Give three examples of each component.
· How have gender and beauty been commodified globally in recent decades?
· According to “How Kim Kardashian …” and “Feminism’s greatest obstacle …,” what is the difference between “feeling empowered,” on the one hand, and having actual power in society, on the other?
· What are arguably the social repercussions of the “commodification and capitalization of the anti-racism industry"?
· What are arguably the social repercussions of “Pride for sale”?
· Describe and discuss three examples of how business has marketed unhealthy commodities in poor countries.
· How have you yourself been created as a consumer in terms of your social class, sexuality/gender, race/ethnicity, age, national citizenship, and geographic location in the world? Discuss this process in terms of the four components of the creation of consumer economy and society.
· 4 marketing tactics e-cigarette companies use to target youths”
· “Advertising targets the young in poor countries—with deadly consequences”
· “How big business got Brazil hooked on junk food”
· “How Kim Kardashian killed the term ‘empowerment’”
· “Feminism’s greatest obstacle in the digital age is the commodification of women’s bodies”
· “The commodification and capitalization of the anti-racism industry”
· “Pride for sale”