SE 451 Research-Based Reading Program Paper Assignment – (100 points)
ALSDE Standard (2)(g)2.(i)
Using your textbook and a search of the UWA online library, locate a research-based reading program that applies rigorous, systematic, and objective procedures to obtain valid knowledge relevant to reading development, reading instruction, and reading difficulties and empirical (valid and reliable) methods of data collections and analysis in all of the areas of reading ( phonological awareness, alphabetic principles or phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.)
· Scroll down and type in whatever you want to research under EBSCO Discovery Service at UWA
And click research.
Examples of some of the programs listed in your textbook are:
Great Leaps Reading Program
Learning Strategies Curriculum
Phonic Reading Lessons
Phonological Awareness Training for Reading
Specific Skill Series for Reading & Multiple Skills Series for Reading
SRA Early Interventions in Reading
Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes
Soar to Success
1. Select a research-based reading program from your textbook, the list found above or through a search of the UWA online library services. Submit the name of the reading program to the Instructor for approval before completing your project.
2. Analyze each of the five areas of reading in each program listed above. Does the program reflect current and confirmed research in each of the areas of reading? Write an analysis of each area of reading within the reading program. Are there areas that are not adequately addressed?
3. Use the file attached, A Consumer’s Guide to Analyzing a Core Reading Program Grades K-3: A Critical Elements Analysis, to guide you as you analyze the five areas of reading (phonological awareness, alphabetic principles or phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.)
4. Check to see how well the program provides explicit, systematic instruction in each area of reading.
5. Was the reading program tested in numerous schools with a variety of student demographics (urban, rural, suburban, socioeconomics, and racial/ethnicities?)
6. The last section of the body of your paper should include your reflection of numbers 4 and 5 above, as well as your view on the effectiveness of the program and how you could use it as an educator.
7. Your paper should be written using the current edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA style). Include a title page and reference page. Include all resources used to complete this assignment in the reference page. You should have a minimum of two references for this assignment.
8. The body of your paper should adequately address each area of reading and should be at least 5 – 6 pages in length. (The total page number for this assignment will be the 5 – 6 pages for the body of the paper, one for the title page and one or more for te reference page. The total page number for this assignment will be 7 – 8 pages.