his is an individual assignment.
Purpose: Whatever field you go into, you may be a part of selecting and/or purchasing computing equipment and/or software. This assignment will help you gain some insight into this process.
Mr. & Mrs. John Smith’s oldest daughter is heading off to CSU this fall. The Smiths are online entrepreneurs, selling wellness equipment and health food. Your YouTube video collection impressed them, so they contacted you to create quotes for the following computer hardware and software purchases:
· Their daughter, Jenny Smith, will need a laptop for college.
· Mr. Smith needs a powerful workstation computer to run movie and music production software. This machine will also be used for gaming.
· Mrs. Smith needs a business computer to run Office software, accounting software and financial applications.
Create specifications and a price quote for the purchase of three (3) computers from three (3) vendors. After collecting your information, you will end up with a 3×3 matrix (table), or a total of nine (9) price quotes. You will attach the price information to the client proposal. In the proposal, you will state the purpose of your proposal and give your recommendation to the client for one of each of the computers to include your reasoning as to why, of the three computers in that category, the client should follow your recommendation and purchase a particular model.
Use the attached template or one of the report templates in Microsoft Word or Excel or use Google Docs or Google Sheets.
Part 1 – Hardware
1. Create a list of specifications for the three needed (3) computers. The computers will be used in the following scenarios:
1. A computer for a college student that can be used to take notes in class, do homework, complete assignments.
2. A computer to be used in an office for animated movies. This computer will be used to work on character design and animation sequences.
3. A computer for home business and personal use.
2. Build a table to compare and contrast computer offerings from three (3) different vendors (Dell, HP, Apple, Toshiba, Microsoft, etc) for each of the three use cases. Note, there is a table already built into the template provided. (For each person, you will select three options from the different vendors. For example, you might select a Dell, a Toshiba, and an Apple for Mrs. Smith, 2 different Dells and an HP for Mr. Smith, etc.). Please include the technical specifications for each selected computer as well as the price. You may add any peripherals you think might be needed (for example, if the computer doesn't have a built in webcam, you will need to find and include the price for an appropriate webcam if one is needed by the client).
a. Hint: use the "Business" section of the vendor site for the office workstation
b. You can choose among different "form factors" such as desktop, small form factor, tablets, all-in-one computers, traditional desktop, laptop, tower
3. Enter computer specs and prices into the Word document/table/spreadsheet
a. Add hyperlinks to the vendor sites and computer specs you used. A working vendor link is included for each recommended computer. The vendor hyperlink will be descriptive short text plus URL.
b. specify the "form factor" (desktop or laptop or all-in-one, etc.) you recommend and why you think this machine is a good fit for the customer
4. Provide detail (technical description and price) for the following hardware:
a. CPU (type, speed) b. RAM (amount/size) c. Hard drive (type (SSD or HDD and size)) f. Operating System
Part 2 – Software
Research and recommend the appropriate productivity software that matches the computer you selected. What software would each member of the Smith family needs loaded on their computer in order to do their particular tasks. Include the software and the price – is it a one time purchase or is it a monthly or annual subscription.