R e q u i r e d R e s o u r c e s
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
• Textbook: Chapter 10, 11 • Lesson • Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook)
I n i t i a l P o s t I n s t r u c t i o n s
Consider one of the following current social issues – or one of your choice:
• Gun violence • Racism • Economic inequality • Sexism • Violent crime • Immigration
For the initial post, address the following:
• State your position on one of these issues – are you for, against, or neutral? Explain why. Avoid vagueness or ambiguity in your response. Make your position very clear.
• Examine how you have formed that opinion. o How well do you think you know the facts? o Do you know and understand statistical information that applies to the
issue? o Do you think you have formed your opinion using only System-1
thinking, or have you applied System-2? o What part have heuristics, cognitive bias, and dominance structuring
played in how you have formed your opinions?
The initial post is not about how "correct" your position is; it is about how you arrived at your position on the issue. This discussion requires application of metacognition – thinking about how you think.
W r i t i n g R e q u i r e m e n t s
• 1 page only • Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside
• APA format for in-text citations and list of references