1. What is the definition of ethics? Give examples of relative and absolute ethics.
2. What is the meaning of gratuity in the context of police agencies? Why might police officers be permitted to accept them, per the model developed by Withrow and Dailey?
3. In what ways can judges, defense attorneys, and prosecutors engage in unethical behaviors?
4. How may corrections officers be unethical?
1. What major occurrences accompanied the early development of labor relations in the criminal justice system?
2. What are some of the main principles of shared governance involving the “navigating the waters” of unionization?
3. What are the three basic models used in the states to decide whether and which public sector employees will have collective bargaining rights? How does each of these models operate?
4. What are some of the major disciplinary policies that need to be maintained? Accepting and dealing with citizen complaints? Maintaining due process requirements?
5. What is positive (progressive) discipline? What would be an example of how it functions?
1. Review some of the recent effects of the nation’s fiscal crisis on police, courts, and corrections organizations.
2. Discuss the definition of a budget and its uses.
3. Discuss what is involved in each of the four steps of a budgeting cycle.
4. Identify the potential pitfalls in budgeting issues that criminal justice administrators must address.