For this assignment, you will develop a patient medication guide for treatment of depressive disorders in a vulnerable population (your choice for one vulnerable patient population to choose from: children, adolescents, older adults, dementia patients, pregnant women or one not listed of your choice!). Be sure to use language appropriate for your audience (patient, caregiver, parent, etc.). You will include non-copyright images and/or information tables to make your patient medication guide interesting and appealing. Limit your patient medication guide to 5 pages. You will create this guide as an assignment; therefore, a title page, introduction, conclusion, and reference page are required. You must include a minimum of 3 scholarly supporting resources outside of your course provided resources.
In your patient guide, include discussion on the following:
- Depressive disorder causes and symptoms
- How depression is diagnosed for the vulnerable population of your choice, why is this population considered vulnerable
- Medication treatment options including risk vs benefits; side effects; FDA approvals for the vulnerable population of your choice
- Medication considerations of medication examples prescribed (see last bullet item)
- What is important to monitor in terms of labs, comorbid medical issues with why important for monitoring
- Special Considerations (you must be specific, not general and address at least one for EACH category; you must demonstrate critical thinking beyond basics of HIPPA and informed consent!): legal considerations, ethical considerations, cultural considerations, social determinants of health
- Where to follow up in your local community for further information
- Provide 3 examples of how to write a proper prescription that you would provide to the patient or transmit to the pharmacy.